The Baron of the Peak District’s moorland hunting lodge, Thornseat, in a new survival shot
The company included a ‘series of green measures’ in a planning application submitted to the Peak District National Park Authority.
It is a second attempt to get approval for the scheme after councilors rejected a proposal last year.
At the time, they said it would “harm” the building, the landscape, the tranquility and the dark sky. It has not “mitigated the impacts of climate change” and “aggravates the impact of traffic”.
The new plan concerns the restoration and extension of the lodge, a new event venue and a dormitory, all served by a biomass heating system. It would use sheep’s wool insulation and triple-glazed windows and reuse more crumbling masonry.
The lodge was sold to Sheffield Corporation in 1934 and last used in 1980. Today, having stood empty for 42 years, it is a wreck in ruins.
Rachel Woodhouse-Hague, of MHH Contracting Ltd, said she hoped to have addressed all concerns.
She added: “If this latest offer fails, the site will be pushed further into decay while we are forced to spend more time and financial resources, which could be much better spent starting the careful but slow process of restoration. of this once prosperous site and put it back into operation, checking whether there are alternative solutions.
“This project has been the brainchild of a family who have years of experience in the Peak District, both in terms of redevelopment of historic buildings into residential accommodation and tourist use.
“The entire site plans have been designed with a childlike approach to what this family considers to be a hugely important building within our heritage, we remain convinced that this is the most suitable and appropriate use for it and for future generations to enjoy.”
Thornseat Lodge, near Mortimer Road, was built in 1855 for Sidney Jessop, son of the founder of the Sheffield Iron and Steel Company, William Jessop and Sons.
The houseandheritage.org website states that as early as 1858, Sidney was throwing parties of 50 gentlemen for the “Glorious Twelfth”.
In 1928 the contents were auctioned and soon after the house and estate were sold to a real estate investment firm. In 1934 it was purchased by the Sheffield Corporation and when war broke out, in May 1939, it was announced that Thornsett Lodge would house infants from Herries Road Nursery ‘in case of emergency’.
A swimming pool was built in 1973 when it was described as a home for 16 “emotionally disturbed” children. In 1978, it was listed as an Intermediate Treatment Center for 12 young people. It closed in 1980.
In 2004 the council sold it to Hague Plant Excavations Ltd and in June 2016 a new company was formed called Thornseat Lodge Ltd.
Today, the roof has almost disappeared. Piles of slipped tiles wobble above crumbling walls. One of the two skylights has fallen, leaving a radiator hanging in the air. The interior is a chaotic mixture of framework, masonry and vegetation dotted with holes. The best preserved element is a crenellated square tower.